If you are serious about your content marketing, you need to think about search engine optimization, otherwise known as SEO. Though you may want to write about whatever you want, the truth is that you need to really think about your readers with every piece that you write. You also need to write for the search engines so that your pieces are getting in front of the right people.
Unsure about SEO? Here are some reasons why it is important when it comes to content marketing.
- Your content needs to be helpful and useful if you want your readers to keep reading! Good content will keep your readers on your website. They will read multiple pieces and stay on your website for longer periods of time. The search engine will notice this, and send more people to your website.
- It will also increase your click-through rate, or CTR. When Google decides how to rank websites, it looks at how many people are clicking on your links and going to your website. If your CTR increases, Google will notice and put your website higher on the list.
- It will also help you get backlinks. The more people who read your content, the better chance that you will have to get backlinks. This means that other people are going to be linking your content to theirs. When someone reads their content, they will link back to yours. This gives you more opportunities to reach even more people. Google will also take notice.
- Your content will help you incorporate keywords. When you use your keywords wisely, you will be able to compete with other brands from your industry. That being said, you can’t just put keywords into your piece. It needs to flow and sound nice. Otherwise, people won’t understand what you are trying to say, and they will look elsewhere for it. Google will notice that people aren’t spending much time on your website, and this can decrease your chances of being found online.
Unsure how to make your content stand out? Here are some tips to help.
- Brainstorm topics (and add them to your list regularly). You are going to need to figure out what things your readers need help with. Are they struggling to do something? Do they need advice on a certain subject? In order to find out, don’t be afraid to ask your readers. You can also read some of your competition’s pieces (though you should never copy it directly). Instead, put your own spin on it.
- Don’t forget about your headline. Your headline may be the most important part of your piece. If it is boring, nobody is going to read it. So, find ways to make your topic sound urgent or even unique from others. Use numbers in the headlines, because people are more likely to read pieces that have a number in the title, such as ten reasons why you should do this.
- Plan your piece out. Instead of just sitting down and writing, you need to plan your piece out. If you are looking for ten reasons to do something, make a list of the ten reasons and then write a paragraph about each.
- Never submit your first draft. Your first draft is just about getting your piece done. Then, you need to go through and polish it up. If you have time, you may even want to wait until the next day to edit your piece.
Good content marketing is essential for your business. SEO is equally important. The search engines need to send people to your website. So, you need to make them take notice, so that others can too!
Need even more help? Don’t hesitate to contact us today to see how we can help you market your business.